Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tasty Tuesday

I wasn't sure if my family would like something sweet and salty.  We don't usually do that in our house, but I thought I would give it a shot.  Since I am the one who doesn't care for sweet and savory at the same time, I was also expanding my horizons too.


Wilted Spinach Salad with Warm Apple Cider and Bacon Dressing
(from Epicurious.com)

5 slices of lean bacon, chopped fine
2 tablespoons minced shallot or purple onion
1/2 cup finely chopped green apple
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups unpasteurized apple cider
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound fresh spinach, coarse stems discarded and the leaves washed well and spun dry

Boys in the kitchen. 
Don't they look like they are having so much fun? HA

Mr. Wonderful cooked
the bacon and scout made a salad. 

MAN!  Their enthusiasm
is killing me.

Yummy ingredients!  The bacon was precooked by
Mr. Wonderful yesterday.  He saved some bacon grease
(about 2 tbs) so that I could cook the apples and onion in it.

 Saute the apples and shallots (onions) with 1-2 tbs of bacon grease.
cook over moderate heat, stirring, for 1 minute

add vinegar, cider, salt and pepper to taste.
 boil the mixture, stirring occasionally,
 for 8 to 10 minutes
or until reduced to about 1/2 cup



Whisk in the mustard, the oil, and salt and pepper to taste


 In a large bowl toss the spinach with the warm dressing until it is just wilted

 sprinkle the salad with the bacon and ENJOY!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment